The "googable" generation

In September, I watched Jeremy Cowart on Creative Live. I only got to watch the first 10 minutes cause I lost internet on the way to California (so bummed). However, I did catch just enough of his talk for it to inspire me. He explained something that went along the lines of this: “Unless you have a famous relative, it is almost impossible to Google your ancestors and find any information on them. We are the first generation to be able to be “googled”. 


(Pictures from my Nana's photo collection)

This statement was so profound to me and got the wheels in my head spinning. Think about it, we live in a day and age where we have different outlets designed to express ourselves. These outlets have the ability to document our every state and emotion. Instagram is a place where you can instantly share a snapshot of a cool place you are at. Twitter, a spot designed to sum up and share your thoughts through out the day with just 140 characters. And last but not least, Facebook, where you can share a funny video that made your Monday morning less dreadful. Whether it be Instagram, Twitter or Facebook each place is pedestal you can stand on, that less than 10 years ago never existed.

Like anything there are positive and negative effects to social media. But I want to talk about the positive. How cool that 50 years from now (only God knows the technology that will be available than) that our great-grand kids will be able to know what it was like being a teenager in the 2000s. What we were feeling when we had our first real day of work, down to even what we had for breakfast on March 3rd, 2013. I’m thinking they probably even have to do homework assignments in school about us. Sorry about that, if you’re reading this grandkids ;)

In our day-today life, we don’t think about the legacy we are one day going to leave behind. Without even realizing it everyday or every week we submit that picture to Instagram or post that funny video on Facebook we are creating a little bit of our legacy. Don’t get me wrong, I realize that our lives are way more meaningful and go way deeper than an instagram post or a tweet. And I do believe our social media accounts, don’t define who we are, but bear with me. Think about it, if our lives are valuable and we are constantly in touch with our community shouldn’t we be putting something of value into this cyber world were already so consumed with?

This idea of a legacy we leave behind through social media became real to me this past July. On July 10th, my Nana passed away from lung cancer. Although it was a long seven-month journey the instant she took her last breath, it felt like the shortest seven months of my life.

(My Nana and I on 4th of July in 2011)

A couple days after she passed away I was on her Facebook page. I couldn’t help myself. For any that has lost of loved one, I’m sure you can relate to the sense of confusion death can bring. I was looking at all the things she posted as well as the stuff she posted on my Facebook page, especially my photography page. My Nana was always one of my biggest fans when it came to my work. She always let me know it too. Every time I saw her. I can still hear her say so clearly, “ Beth, I Loved that new photo you posted of that girl, you’re getting so good.”  As I was looking through each comment with tears in my eyes, it became clear to me how powerful social media can be. The words that we leave behind don’t just get erased. Just like those encouraging or even discouraging things we say to our loved ones in person, they live on even after we do. Although, it may be as simple as a Facebook comment, those words that she wrote to me will be one way I will always remember her by.

My question for you is: what "online legacy" are you leaving behind?

We love and miss you Nana!

Inspired to Inspire,
Bethany
Ps. This photos was from the Rise Lantern Festival I attended last month. We lit a lantern in remembrance of my Nana.  Stay tuned to see photos from this unforgettable event.


No comments

Post a Comment

© Bethany Paige
Maira Gall